The Demise of Human Discourse

I walked into a real nice cafe the other day. Everyone, including the barista, had their head down, not one person was speaking to another, nor engaged in any kind of social interaction whatsoever.  

I stopped dead in my tracks, quietly observing each and every one, wondering if I had donned a mask and entered with a gun in my hand, how much would the haul be? as none of them would have seen it coming.  

I strolled to the rear, had a slash in the loo, and exited the back door, completely unnoticed. The only thing stopping me from lifting a very cute dachshund who was cheerfully wagging his tail at me, was the fact that I would be caught unmasked on video.

Have you noticed?  In Restaurants, Cafes, Airplanes, Trains, Buses, Resorts, Gyms, Bars, Lounges, at social functions, in public places, lounging at a swimming pool, on the beach, in line at the post office....

and even your own home, at a family get together or at the dinner table ...  nobody talks to each other anymore, their all too busy, heads down, swiping away with their fingers, surfing, texting, or waiting for an incoming SMS or call on their smart phones.

Forget the nature of the hand held communication device, what would it have been like at anytime in the past had such table manners and behavior been acceptable?

Here's a glimpse into what would have been the demise of human discourse and a very dark past.



The Nattering One muses.... next time I will bring a unibomber hoody or ski mask so that my dachshund friend can have a home where people still interact and have discourse.  Just kidding, about the dachshund that is.

Comments