New Age Old School

Over at a financial forum...

P: "Well I know when I used to deliver papers in 1972, there was a billboard with a VW Beetle that said $1,999 and that was my goal – to save up $2,000 to get a car when I was 15.  [Disneyland $100 tickets] spending $400 a day just to walk in with the family is crazy but, then again, so is skiing nowdays.  And concerts, and movies….  No wonder Millennial's just sit at home and play with their phones – who can afford to go out and have fun? I notice that with kids these days – they don't have jobs anymore (high schoolers) so the boys don't have any money to take girls on dates. It's funny how the economy starts messing with the social structures. 
I used to get a 0.50/week allowance when I was in 3rd grade (1971) and me and my girlfriend used to go to the malt shop on Wednesdays after school and we'd share a chocolate shake (0.12) and I'd get M&Ms (0.06) and she'd get a $100,000 bar (0.06) and we'd buy 2 pieces of gum for a penny and that was 1/2 my allowance spent on date night (or afternoon).  
Then, on the weekend, I'd have enough to get an ice cream sundae at carvel for 0.25 but sometimes I'd just get a cone for 0.12 and a comic book for another 0.12 and more gum.  
What the F*ck happened to this country!!!"
Rookie chimed in: "When we bought our first home 25 years or so back, neighborhood kids would knock on the door and ask us if we wanted our lawn cut.  Now I noticed a lot of kids are just happy playing with their phones and I don't see a whole lot of kids knocking doors to trying to sell or perform some services.  That could be
(a)  Parents are pampering their kids too much
(b)  Parents feel that the kids need to be put on some structured program so they will have a chance to get into Ivy Leagues, etc.
(c)  To some extent kids also want to take it easy."
Then Burrben took a swig... "The failure of the country is zero work ethic is being instilled into the young.  The TV shows make them want Bently's, not chevy's for a first car.
Secondly, there no one assumes personal responsibility any longer.  Ex.  I'm poor because of Obama.  I'm fat because of McDonalds.  I'm not getting a job due to minorities.  Etc Etc.
If people stopped being lazy and started to realize that they are responsible for their own lives…. we'd be living in the 50's again!  (Where I should have been born!)"
And We Nattered...
I was just cruising along in my deuce coupe and that damn Bazooka Gum thing caught my eye and broke my concentration
P, 100K$ bars, penny, nickel and dime candy, afterschool $1 went a long way, abba zabbas, WALKING to school, 8 miles uphill in the snow, both ways, the paper route, … we used to make money the old fashioned way, we earned it… 
Concerts, movies, skiing, Disneyland?? Try a professional sporting event.  We pay our entertainers and gladiators way too much, and our teachers not enough, the end of all empires comes this way…  waxing nostalgic are we??
Rookie your spot on, a bunch of self absorbed and pampered punks with funny sounding new age names...  and Burrben is my new best friend, we should have been crusin with John Milner in the piss wagon, but then again, could have wound up face down in a rice paddy…. sometimes, timing is strangely convenient.
The sense of entitlement generation we suffer from, suffered from over parenting. And NOBODY wants to take ownership for their mistakes or crap.  Its a generation walking around in depends and stinkin up the joint, for all the wrong reasons. I guess I'm just old school...
Respect and the provision for natural growth are what lead to learning and the acquisition of knowledge. These are what the selfish know it all entitlement generation we suffer from sorely lack(ed) due to a combination of unimaginative schooling, overparenting and political tenure track professors.  Despite the attempts to dumb down, there are still some good teachers out there.
I have often complained about paying for the breeders and their progeny,  due to lax parenthood, a lax educational system and the outlawing of corporal punishment, today's reprobates and tomorrows inmates, as I like to say.  In the day, there was nothing like Sister Mary Elephants ruler across the knuckles, a twist of the ear, or a good old fashion ass whooping in the gym to put one in line. Today's time outs and reasoning with infantile behavior is absolutely asinine and has led to the last two generations running wild in Dr. Spock fashion, leading to a completely out of control situation.  I know what your thinkin… do you feel lucky? I do…
A sense of entitlement (from overparenting) along with the pervasive escaping of responsibility, is at the root of the "tragedy of the commons" that we are suffering in this day and age. This needs to be corrected.
Where's Delbert Grady when you need him? Enough breaking of my concentration,  let me explain something

New Age Old School Part 2
This Needs To Be Corrected

Comments