One Man's Best Friend

For my good friend...  In March of 1984, I found two kittens entombed in a wall of a new home. After liberating them, I told myself that I already had two cats and this was "just for the night" and then I would find them a good home.

Since that fateful day 20 years ago, Sweetie was faithfully by my side during the following events; and in her years outlasted the following: My mother, Sweeties brother; 2 cats; 2 dogs; 7 cars; 4 presidents; 6 summer Olympiads; 1 invasion; 1 conflict; 2 terrorist attacks; 2 wars; several friendships; 2 of my best friends passing; 5 moves; 4 homes; my total combined time spent in marriage; and donating ½ of my liver to save one of my best friends.


In August of 2004, after 6 months of subQ fluids, chronic renal failure finally got the best of Sweetie. She had a stroke, and as much as I selfishly wanted to continue to have her company, I could not in good conscience prolong any suffering on her part. Her quality of life would not have been the same and I had to let go.


This week she would have been 20 years old. I remember my last day with her as if it were yesterday. For one last time: I laid with her on the floor and rubbed her ears, flea combed her rabbit soft fur, sat with her and scratched her underbelly while she purred, basked with her next to the warmth of the fireplace, watched her as she lapped up water from her bowl, saw her stretch out to sun bathe in front of the sliding patio door, and finally took her for that last long ride to the vet.


I have rarely cried in my life, after my mothers death, it took 10 months. After the injection, as the life left Sweeties eyes and she went limp, I was reduced to a bawling baby in less than 10 seconds. Sweetie will live forever, in my fondest of memories. She gave her unconditional love for a bowl of kibble, some love in a can, and a back or ear scratch here and there. To say I love her, and she was a friend and that I will miss her, would be a gross understatement on my part.


R.I.P. SWEETIE...That Darn Cat: 03/1984 - 09/2004


Sweetie Posted by Hello


Sweetie Posted by Hello

Comments

King said…
We didn't have to inject Gladys, but I did take Betty (the dog) in to the vet and hold her for her last breath. I had exactly that same reaction.

Thanks for stopping by the blog.